The Five Elements (Maha Bhutas)
From Tamas arise the five elements. They are the basis of all matter which make up the outer world of experience, including the physical body.
- Ether (Akasha) – space; manifests the idea of connection allowing for the interchange between all material mediums, communication and expression
- Air (Vayu) – motion; manifests the idea of subtle movement, manifesting ideas of time, direction, velocity and change and giving the basis for thought
- Fire (Agni) – radiant energy; manifests the idea of light allowing for perception and for movement from place to place
- Water (Apas) – cohesive factor; manifests the idea of liquidity or flowing motion, allowing for life
- Earth (Pruthivi) – mass; manifests the idea of solidity or stability, giving resistance in action
Sources: Yoga & Ayurveda by David Frawley; The Ayurveda Bible by Anne McIntyre